Saturday, January 31, 2009

Response to Michelle Webb

Michelle Webb asked "Why is it that music is so important emotionally?  Why is it that music has a special role in helping people with their emotions?"  Music certainly does help people cope with their emotions.  In fact, there is a whole industry based on this: Music therapy.  Music therapy is used to help alleviate the symptoms of mental, physical, or emotional problems.  It should be no surprise to learn that music is used to treat emotional problems.  After all, I think everyone can safely say that music has the potential to alter his or her emotions.
A particular song can make you feel sad, happy, angry, silly, etc.  The possibilities are endless.  A lot of people look to music for validation.  Music tells them that it's okay to feel what they're feeling and sometimes encourages certain emotions and behaviors.  So if it can be agreed upon that music can affect people's emotions, can't it also be said that music can alter people's behaviors?  After all, I'd say people's actions and behaviors are largely influenced by their emotions.  For example, I'm more likely to get in a fight if I'm in a bad mood.  But if music is what put me in a bad mood, can music be blamed for the fight?  I do believe in personal responsibility; however, I also think it can be said that music influences behavior.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not about to blame Marilyn Manson for the 1999 Columbine shootings.  But I do believe that violent music can make a person more inclined to commit violent acts.  Similarly, music with positive messages can influence people to have a more positive outlook.  
Listening to music can alter people's emotions; pretty much everybody can attest to this.  Lyrics obviously communicate a certain emotion, but so do other components of music such as tempo, key, pitch, rhythm, etc.  Music can also influence behavior.  My question is, can music be blamed for people's actions, or is it personal responsibility?  Or a combination of both?

2 comments: