Monday, March 9, 2009

"My Favorite Things"

It is dissapointing to think that we have little control over our tastes in music. It is something people take so much pride in, yet it isn't something they have accomplished; it is something they were given- at least, partly. In class, it was stated that many people's tastes in music were a direct influence from someone they grew up with. This makes sense; being exposed to a certain type of music will make you feel more familiar with it, and therefore you are more likely to enjoy it. Growing up in a certain culture, you are likely to prefer your own culture's music instead of another's. However, sometimes people rebel from the musical tastes they were raised to like. I know many teens who purposefully listen to music that they know their parents wont like. At first, I was inclined to say that this is just a phase and it doesn't last, but we discussed in class today that the music you listen to as an adolecent ussually resonates with you throughout your life. So, if you spend your teenage years listening to heavy metal soley because your parents don't like it, then I guess you are altering your future tastes in music.
I was also dissapointed to read in Chapter 8 of Levitin that you stop developing your musical tastes around the age of 18. I'm 18, and I hope that I'm not done discovering music. I still feel like I have a lot more to explore in music, and I don't think you are ever too old to try new things. However, I know that there are biological factors that make Levitin's statement true. But, I think those factors can be overcome if you are still willing to explore different genres of music.
Question: Regardless off what you know to be true, do you feel like you chose your tastes, or were they chosen for you?

2 comments: