Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Response to Amy Rosvally

Amy asked if abortion can be considered murder if it is performed before the fetus has any brain activity.  If murder is defined as killing a person, then we are back to the question "How do we define a 'person'"?  I have already stated my views on personhood; I believe that all humans are persons, no matter what their mental capabilities are.  A fertilized egg may not yet have brain activity, but neither does a person (that is, if you still consider them a person) who has been declared brain dead.  I'm wondering why we determine personhood based on brain activity.  Does having higher levels of brain function make someone more of a person?  Does a mental handicap detract from someone's personhood?  Or is it more black and white: having any brain activity, no matter how limited, makes one a person?
I think it is important to regard a fetus as a person because although it doesn't have brain activity at first, it will.  It is a growing person.  Just because it is in a very early stage of development doesn't make it insignificant.  I'd also like to point out that brain activity begins very early in the fetus's development; abortions are performed on fetus's who have brains.   Someone used to term "potential person" in class today, which I like.  Even if you don't see a fetus as a person, it is undeniable that it is a potential person.  This is more significant than "honorary personhood" because, by terminating a fetus, you are ending the development of a human.  A honorary person, on the other hand, will never actually be a person.  

(My questions are at the end of the first paragraph.)

No comments:

Post a Comment