Saturday, April 11, 2009

Response to Christina Porter

Christina asked if abortion is okay circumstantially.  She lists a few hypothetical situations (rape, incest, etc) and wonders how someone could expect a woman to abort her fetus in these circumstances.  I think that if you are morally opposed to abortion, there should be no exceptions (unless the pregnancy is  threat to the mother's life).  So, abortion is morally wrong no matter what the circumstance is- unless it is necessary to save the life of the mother.  Like I have stated previously in my blog entries, I believe that a fetus is a person.  It is morally wrong to kill a person no matter how inconvenient they might be.  A pregnancy that resulted from rape or incest is a horrible situation, but the fetus is still a person with rights.  
Christina also asks if it is ethical to bring a baby into the world just so they can suffer the hardships of being an orphan.  Nobody can decide for somebody else what life is worth living and what life isn't.  I'm positive that there are many people who grew up without parents who are happy and grateful for their life.  No person should have that much power- that they can decide who lives and who doesn't based on how glamourous the life ahead of them is.  
For me personally, abortion is not an issue of circumstance.  You can't allow for some abortions but not others based on how bad you feel for the mother's situation.  That is subjective; you can't base a decision as serious as this on it.  If you consider a fetus a person, than abortion is always murder, and always morally wrong.  
Question:  If you think abortion is okay in cases of rape or incest, in what other circumstances would you allow abortion?  Where do you draw the line?

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your response to my question an blog. I have responded to this on my page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always and interesting topic to write about. I will be responding to your question on my page.

    ReplyDelete